Clear all

Life's Been Good To Me So Far synth sound

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
TFB123
(@tfb123)
Topic starter

I need to get an accurate synth sound for Life's Been Good To Me So Far by Joe Walsh. I am looking for the first sound that you hear in the middle of the song that leads to the guitar solo. Not the thick bass sound. He used an ARP Odyssey, which I no longer have. I am using a PC3X. Does anyone know how to get the sound?

Posted : 07/08/2014 5:28 pm
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

According to Joe Vitale it was an ARP 2600. I've yet to hear an approximation of this sound. Joe Walsh performs it to a track from the original recording.

Posted : 09/08/2014 10:21 am
TFB123
(@tfb123)
Topic starter

Thanks. I've gone through all of the stock sounds and have picked a few and tried different effect patches but nothing close...so far.

Posted : 09/08/2014 1:11 pm
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

Here's an email I got from Joe V. today. I remember trying to cop it with a Mini-Moog in the 70s, I was "kind of" close but no cigar.

>>>Good Luck....that was an ARP 2600 w/ sequencer
might get close though<<<

Posted : 09/08/2014 2:39 pm
newwaveking
(@newwaveking)

Try this! A little programming trick a friend of mine taught me some time ago. It's about as close as I can get. There's a song file too that plays the riff in setup mode. I'm hoping that I've stored it and uploaded correctly. Let me know!

-Mark

Posted : 26/08/2014 11:01 pm
cecchino
(@cecchino)
Estimable Member

Amazing! Maybe the song tempo is a bit slow at least on my pc3 but it sounds sooo close to the original. Looks like I'm going to add this song to my band playlist ;)

Posted : 28/08/2014 2:48 pm
newwaveking
(@newwaveking)

cecchino- you're right, it was a few bpm slow. I checked it, matched the tempo to the original recording, did a quick edit and uploaded the fixed version. Also noticed that the guitar I tuned the filter to was not in tune, so I fixed that as well! I really shouldn't be tweaking programs at 3am! ;) Should be all good now. Thanks for your feedback :D

Posted : 28/08/2014 7:08 pm
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

This is a good thread! When I get some free time I'll take a stab at this. TZ

Posted : 29/08/2014 9:03 am
cecchino
(@cecchino)
Estimable Member

Back from work, I finally tried the new version of the file. Very good, really ;) !!!
I think it may be worth re-posting it in the "W" section of this forum ;)

Posted : 29/08/2014 11:59 am
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

To Newwaveking. You NAILED THIS!

Posted : 20/07/2015 6:30 pm
Share: