4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
jankob
(@jankob)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Guys,
are there any pipe organ players here? I am courious if you use real pipe organ samples. The rank programs in Kurzweils are good, but not too much realistic. Could you give me an advice where to download free samples?

Posted : 26/05/2017 11:29 am
dalen
(@dalen)
Eminent Member

Have you tried the pipe organs 1-6 in setup mode?

Posted : 27/05/2017 2:37 am
jankob
(@jankob)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Yes, I use the setups and I have also modified them to my taste :)
But the individual programs are made by "non-pipe-organ" keymaps and samples. A good reverb fx makes it sound better, but I am thinking of something more realistic. I think it would be easy to program a new pipe-organ-rank programs, because there is no velocity range. Only key on, key off. Yes, if you press a key on a pipe organ slowly, you can hear a slower chiff, but this is not so important.

The other question is if there is a possibility to edit the programs pan table. On many pipe organs the panning is not only from left to right, but from both sides (left+right) to the middle (C0:-64, C#0:63, D0:-63, ...) or from middle to the both sides and so on. It depends on how the individual pipes are placed.

Am I too challenging? :mrgreen:

Posted : 27/05/2017 1:11 pm
mikeh11
(@mikeh11)
Trusted Member

The other question is if there is a possibility to edit the programs pan table.

My understanding is that, unlike the K2000s, the PC3s don't let us load every type of (musical) object they know about. For instance, we cannot load alternate velocity or pressure maps. The same goes with the drum map, drum pan, and drum exclusion objects.

Bummer.

An experiment:
- I extracted a drum-pan object from the OS update file for a PC3LE6.
- I hex-edited it to change some of the values.
- I put them both on a thumb-drive, and tried loading each one.
- Both times, the PC3LE said "nothing found".

Maybe I did something wrong, and it really can load a "real" pan-map?

This is sad, because I'd really like to play with the drum map in order to translate keys to other notes (turn ranges of the keyboard upside down, flip octaves, swap groups of notes with others, ...). And I'd like to be able to have more extreme stereo placement across the keyboard (or by selected ranges, or put these octaves over there...)

And off-topic, but somewhat related - it's too bad that the Kurzweils don't support the MIDI tuning standard... with that we could do some wacky key-mapping - but this doesn't address your stereo placement requirements.

I hope someone "pipes"-up here and tells me I'm wrong, and shows us how to do all this! :-)

K2000R 3.87J | MBP 2012 macOS 10.14.6

Posted : 28/06/2017 8:38 am
Share: