18 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
10.8 K Views
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

About a 12-14 months ago I bought a PC3LE6 (after lots of research) it seemed the perfect fit for me.
I want pianos, electric pianos, hammond, brass / orchestra sounds.

The 1st kurzweil after about 6 weeks suddenly - all the lights came on - then started to / blink - flash - and the board was unuseable - as in no sound , no buttons worked etc. I got a replacement straight away.

Now 12 months or so later - last night I am in the middle of playing and suddenly same thing happens again - same as before - keyboard is now totally unuseable.

Both keyboards have the latest OS

I so so so wanted to have a kurzweil, as I loved the sounds and the keyboard piano style action. The shop have said they will take it back - I want my money back or at the very least a credit note which I can use to buy a proper working / functioning keyboard from them.

If anyone is thinking about buying the Kurzweil PC3LE6 model - I would seriously consider another keyboard, either a different Kurzweil or different manufacturer.

eCommerce software that lives in the cloud and can be used on multiple websites at the same time (FaceBook #1 ecommerce app) , physical products and digital / sound / audio / downloads - and it's FREE http://www.ecwids.co.uk

Posted : 11/09/2014 8:32 am
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

Buy a pc361, they don't exhibit this issue. Here's one:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthread ... ost2626552

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 12/09/2014 7:13 am
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

The shop I got it from say as long as it's in excellent condition they may offer me a credit note to value of the original purchase price - or they may decide to attempt a fix and send it back (I no longer want any PC3LE model).

They however no longer stock the PC361 (I guess it's out of shelf life now) they only sell the LE series and then the high end kit (out of my price range).

So I have spent the last few hours looking at equivalent type boards to the LE6 - I'd love a Nord electro 4d (expensive - brass orchestra sounds arent great though) -= but keybed is nice and other sounds are great.

I've also looke3d / listened to the Roland FA06, the Korg Krome and Yamaha MOXF6 - none of them have the same keybed as the Kurz though (which is what I like) - they do though seem to have as good as or equivalent pianos,elec piano, organs (with leslie effect).

I know this is a Kurz forum - with Kurz experts and players etc - so please add your thoughts ? ie why I should or should not consider a certain keyboard

eCommerce software that lives in the cloud and can be used on multiple websites at the same time (FaceBook #1 ecommerce app) , physical products and digital / sound / audio / downloads - and it's FREE http://www.ecwids.co.uk

Posted : 12/09/2014 8:10 am
Jean_Bellefeuille
(@jean_bellefeuille)
Eminent Member

Hi Voodoo

Sorry to hear of your troubles. There is a known fix for this problem and though I realize your patience may be burnt at this point just want to be sure you are aware there is a means to get this taken care of and permanently.

If you'd like to pursue this, please contact me me directly (support at kurzweil dot com) and let me know:
-where you are located
-the name of your dealer
-exact purchase date
-unit sn#

I'll do what I can to help get this remedied for you. Apologies for any hassles.

Jean Bellefeuille
http://kurzweil.com/support/operational/

Posted : 12/09/2014 10:35 am
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Hi Jean,

Many thanks for post, the unit has already gone back to the retailer (so I dont have the serial number etc)
I presume this fix is a hardware fix not a software fix. If it's a hardware issue then I'm inclined to think there is a weakness there and it will happen again - what is / was the problem with LE series ?

The retailer is waiting for it to turn up, I have asked for a credit note - but they have the final say on this not me.
The LE was a good fit for me - piano keys mainly, the electric pianos, orchestra sounds were fine, acoustic piano was also fine and hammond sounds were passable - although the leslie effect not that great - which is why I may look elsewhere (sorry)

best wishes peter aka voodoo (my dogs name)

Posted : 15/09/2014 5:12 am
cecchino
(@cecchino)
Estimable Member

I presume this fix is a hardware fix not a software fix.

I agree on this point.

If it's a hardware issue then I'm inclined to think there is a weakness there and it will happen again -

I do not agree, if they found a weakness in a component and the component was replaced by a more reliable one, the issue is not very likely to happen again ;)
Just my 2 cents...

Posted : 15/09/2014 6:34 am
JamminJim
(@jamminjim)

About a 12-14 months ago I bought a PC3LE6 (after lots of research) it seemed the perfect fit for me.
I want pianos, electric pianos, hammond, brass / orchestra sounds.

The 1st kurzweil after about 6 weeks suddenly - all the lights came on - then started to / blink - flash - and the board was unuseable - as in no sound , no buttons worked etc. I got a replacement straight away.

Now 12 months or so later - last night I am in the middle of playing and suddenly same thing happens again - same as before - keyboard is now totally unuseable.

Both keyboards have the latest OS

I so so so wanted to have a kurzweil, as I loved the sounds and the keyboard piano style action. The shop have said they will take it back - I want my money back or at the very least a credit note which I can use to buy a proper working / functioning keyboard from them.

If anyone is thinking about buying the Kurzweil PC3LE6 model - I would seriously consider another keyboard, either a different Kurzweil or different manufacturer.

I feel your pain. I experienced the same issue with my LE6. I bought mine used on eBay, so the warranty was void and I couldn't send it back for a replacement. I sent mine out for repair a few weeks ago and just got it back. They said it's a known issue (thanks for that, Kurzweil!). They also said the repairs are a permanent fix and I shouldn't experience any more problems. I since bought a new board to use while the LE was being repaired. I may just keep the LE at my rehearsal space. I don't want the same issue happening during the middle of a gig AGAIN! It's unfortunate because I really like the keyboard. Great sounds and built like a tank, although I do feel it's ridiculously heavy for a 61 note synth.

Keyboard junkie.
Kurzweil PC3LE6, Roland RD300GX, Roland Juno Stage, Roland VR-09, Hammond XK2, Casio WK7500, Casio PX5S. Wish List: Yamaha CP40, Hammond SK1, Roland FA-08, Yamaha MXF8

Posted : 21/01/2015 9:25 am
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Mine as since been returned by the retailer - and I have had no problems with it since - my retailer has given a new 3 year warantee on it - so I feel fairly safe in that respect. But I still have the nightmare scenario of it breaking down live.

I love playing it live though - mainly for the piano keys and the sounds on the whole (for what I want) are great.
It's a big that the volume outputs on the sounds differ so much - makes it a real pain live sometimes.

I'm a player not a real techy - and the LE6 / VAST is not exactly the friendliest in that respect. It weighs a ton and great to have to carry around - especially when you consider the Nord 4d and Hammond SK1 are only 6kgs rather than 14kg+ for the LE6.

Would I buy one again - yes 100% yes

Posted : 21/01/2015 9:36 am
JamminJim
(@jamminjim)

Mine as since been returned by the retailer - and I have had no problems with it since - my retailer has given a new 3 year warantee on it - so I feel fairly safe in that respect. But I still have the nightmare scenario of it breaking down live.

I love playing it live though - mainly for the piano keys and the sounds on the whole (for what I want) are great.
It's a big that the volume outputs on the sounds differ so much - makes it a real pain live sometimes.

I'm a player not a real techy - and the LE6 / VAST is not exactly the friendliest in that respect. It weighs a ton and great to have to carry around - especially when you consider the Nord 4d and Hammond SK1 are only 6kgs rather than 14kg+ for the LE6.

Would I buy one again - yes 100% yes

I know what you mean about the difference in volume outputs among the sounds. That's why I adjusted the output gain on all my favorite sounds and then saved them to the User bank. Problem solved! I agree about the weight of this beast! I bought a Roland VR-09 while the LE was in the shop. It's only 12 lbs and sounds great!

Keyboard junkie.
Kurzweil PC3LE6, Roland RD300GX, Roland Juno Stage, Roland VR-09, Hammond XK2, Casio WK7500, Casio PX5S. Wish List: Yamaha CP40, Hammond SK1, Roland FA-08, Yamaha MXF8

Posted : 21/01/2015 1:45 pm
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

That's my task then for this weekend..... will have to read the manual for this though

Posted : 21/01/2015 1:51 pm
JamminJim
(@jamminjim)

That's my task then for this weekend..... will have to read the manual for this though

I can tell you how to do it. It's really simple.
Select the sound you want to use.
Press the EDIT button.
Choose the BASIC menu.
Adjust the OutGain option using the +/- buttons or the scroll wheel. (I usually set it between 17 & 20 depending on the sound I'm using).
When you get the gain to the desired level press SAVE.
You can rename the sound or leave it as is.
The edited sound will appear as a custom sound in the USER bank.

Have fun!
Jim

Keyboard junkie.

Posted : 21/01/2015 7:38 pm
voodoo
(@voodoo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the heads up Jim - I'm on to it - got a gig tomorrow and a big theatre gig for charity next week :D

Posted : 23/01/2015 12:34 pm
Eclipse69
(@eclipse69)
Eminent Member

I have the same problem right now with my PC3LE7, but I think the problem will be solved with this

http://jirin.web.althan.cz/201705-kurzw ... -solution/

If this resolves the problem, I will write again.

Posted : 24/08/2017 5:51 am
Eclipse69
(@eclipse69)
Eminent Member

Hello again,
The addition to the official Kurzweil service bulletin (about 3.5 years ago) is important, as it obviously does not solve the final blinking problem. This happened with my Kurzweil PC3LE7 - it's no longer a guarantee (I'm the second owner for about 9 months) and the problem becomes serious.
OS is charging successfully, cracking for a short while and then no sound at the L, R and headphones. Through my local service center from Kurzweil I was offered to replace the main board ... OMG . :o ... will share my fight with the problem. :arrow:
Regards
Krasimir

Posted : 14/09/2017 12:44 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Dear all,

There last note about this issue sent to the service centers really fix that issue... if done properly. This was sent in 2014 if I remember correctly. But there were prior attempts that didn't. So, if you have this problem, make sure you go to an authorize service center that has all the right information.

Thanks,

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 15/09/2017 9:58 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: