A new Kurzweil PC4

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
larrywary
(@larrywary)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Well I got a PC4! & it's exactly what I want ! The action's great & it's solid too! But damn now I gots to learn (not hard if u know Kurz) Wood shed time!

Posted : 02/10/2019 10:32 pm
cecchino
(@cecchino)
Estimable Member

Glad for you!
I hope I will follow you soon (still waiting for the PC4 to land in italian stores...)

Posted : 03/10/2019 2:40 am
Ratbatblue
(@ratbatblue)

I just got my PC4 about a week ago. Has anyone heard on when the editor is suppose to come out?

Posted : 09/11/2019 9:51 am
Kurzhead
(@kurzhead)
Trusted Member

I would be interested to hear about any experiences with the FM synth engine and, in particular, if anyone’s been able to upload, e.g. a Yamaha DX7 Patch from a SYSEX file ( is this really possible? ).

SP4 Advocate

Posted : 10/11/2019 6:45 am
larrywary
(@larrywary)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm going to hook-up my DX7 & try what you were asking about sometime tomorrow & from downloading programs to & from a DX7 that I did off the internet by sysex . Your always going to get 32 programs because sysex is always in a bulk format. So getting a single program to load just can't do. They sent Me a 100+ fm programs & WOW some cool stuff there.
Fran said the final will be put out sometime this next week . Concerning the Soundtower editor I have no clue since Kurzweil & Soundtower are separate companys.

Posted : 10/11/2019 4:06 pm
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

There will be a Sound Tower editor for the PC4. They are currently working on it.

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 11/11/2019 7:57 am
wildbill
(@wildbill)
Trusted Member

I would be interested to hear about any experiences with the FM synth engine and, in particular, if anyone’s been able to upload, e.g. a Yamaha DX7 Patch from a SYSEX file ( is this really possible? ).

Yes - it's possible, and there's a lot you can do with them once inside.
I've had my PC4 for about a month now.
I downloaded a lot of dx7 sounds, and funny enough - the only ones I had trouble with were the 4 original 32 patch sound banks in the DX7. Most of the rest of them loaded fine. Maybe that one was corrupted or something.
There's so many others though that it hasn't bothered me.

Posted : 12/11/2019 6:27 pm
larrywary
(@larrywary)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hey Wildbill - - I couldn't load the original sounds from my DX7 either but I downloaded about 1,023 dexed programs to my Pc4. I was reading though the introduction for dex & I realized using this editor & Librarian is the best way to get 'dem fm sounds! And jeez there are tens of thousands these suckers! I'm having a ball with this.

Posted : 12/11/2019 7:50 pm
wildbill
(@wildbill)
Trusted Member

Hey Wildbill - - I couldn't load the original sounds from my DX7 either but I downloaded about 1,023 dexed programs to my Pc4. I was reading though the introduction for dex & I realized using this editor & Librarian is the best way to get 'dem fm sounds! And jeez there are tens of thousands these suckers! I'm having a ball with this.

Yep - not lacking for sounds - that's for sure. It's great that you can use them as alternate inputs for other layers to process them further too. I've had a lot of DX/FM stuff over the years and thought I was pretty much done with it. But this sounds about the best I've tried, and what you can do with it is just outstanding.

Have you tried playing around with the 3 two block FM operators that are in regular vast programs?
I just started messing with them, and those can come in handy too.
I'm very happy with the PC4, even though there are a few small things I'd like to see fixed or added.

... They sent Me a 100+ fm programs & WOW some cool stuff there....

Those are great. Some are really flashy, like 'how the heck did they do that'. Not real usable, because they're so unique they'd be recognized right away.
But there's also some real usable patches that sound just great. Also some templates to give you a head start for making your own patches.

Posted : 12/11/2019 9:08 pm
cecchino
(@cecchino)
Estimable Member

And the new OS is out, so everybody can test those programs (except for me and other Italian-4th-world-PC4-not-yet-in-the-shops users ... :-(

Posted : 12/11/2019 11:10 pm
wildbill
(@wildbill)
Trusted Member

And the new OS is out, so everybody can test those programs (except for me and other Italian-4th-world-PC4-not-yet-in-the-shops users ... :-(

It's worth the wait. Lots of places here in the US don't have them yet either.

Posted : 13/11/2019 5:52 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

The PC4 was introduced in Italy last week, so it should be in the stores there very soon.

https://www.generalsound.it/en

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 13/11/2019 7:54 am
larrywary
(@larrywary)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

cecchino I'm looking forward seeing you get this baby - - hope it comes soon!

Posted : 13/11/2019 10:34 am
cecchino
(@cecchino)
Estimable Member

The PC4 was introduced in Italy last week, so it should be in the stores there very soon.

https://www.generalsound.it/en

Thank you Fran.
It was updated just today. That's fine, I hope it will be in some shop in my town soon. I had a chance to test it at an expo in october, but the enviroment was way too noisy to understand how it sounds. A second test is required. Can't wait...

Posted : 13/11/2019 3:30 pm
Share: