Amp?

20 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
10.1 K Views
dmcdonnell
(@dmcdonnell)
Topic starter

What type of amp or speakers do you use that gets the clearest sound.

Posted : 06/09/2013 7:04 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

studio?
rehearsal room?
small live setting?

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 06/09/2013 9:06 am
aellison62
(@aellison62)

Fran asks a very pertinent question regarding your post, ....what venue are you wanting to amp your keyboard?

If it is a general type inquiry, I think the most popular recommendation would be a set of stereo powered speakers. This allows you to experience the depth of the FX offered by the Kurzweil keyboard. These full range type speakers, usually a 12 or 15 inch woofer paired with a high frequency horn or tweeter of some design,offers a clear, full range without much " coloring" of your input sound. These would be used for a larger room or hall/ club setting

EV, JBL, Yamaha, QSC, all are makers of these types of amp/ speaker combos. Go to your local Guitar Center or Sam Ash and listen to a pair of any or all of these.

If your use is strictly at home, a pair of similarly powered studio monitors ( also an audition of these at GC or Sam Ash) would be the way to go.) These are usually smaller than the aforementioned powered speakers and are "near field" type of amplification.

Hope that helps,

Posted : 07/09/2013 7:21 am
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

Playing in stereo will really open up the sound of your keyboard. I have 3X setups, a pair of G2 10s, a pair of G2 15s, and a Barbetta Sona 41. I've been using these amps for about 9 years, never had a problem. I'm sure that newer models will be better. I've heard a lot of great stuff about QSC. Get something that has a lot of watts.

Posted : 13/09/2013 5:30 am
Trsacar
(@trsacar)
Eminent Member

Hi! Which amplifier is best for PC3? I have Yamaha ks120, but the sound is not that sophisticated like on headphones. There is too much middle and bass in sound.
There are a lot of people that recommend Roland kc series.

Posted : 15/09/2013 9:50 am
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

There is too much middle and bass in sound.
There are a lot of people that recommend Roland kc series.

Personally, I do not recommend Roland keyboard amps. A mixer and a powered PA type speaker will give you the best results.

Posted : 16/09/2013 7:00 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

From my experience, I agree with TZ, PA-type worked much better for me than keyboard-labeled (I tried different brands) amps. The problem that I had with the ones I tried, is that they were too bassy... actually, one branded keyboard amp was incredible similar to the same brand bass amp.... and lacked clarity either on the mids, or in the highs, depending on their tweeter. But as a keyboard player, you normally want full range... thus, PA'type. But, if you don't have a lot of $$, don't worry, I used to use an affordable 400 Watt Behringer that even if it wasn't superfancy it did the job for me in rehearsals and on stage as my monitor (yeah, our band was very loud on stage, I was normally very close to the drummer and I needed those watts just to listen to myself.

My 2 cents,

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 16/09/2013 7:23 am
Trsacar
(@trsacar)
Eminent Member

Thank you!

Posted : 21/09/2013 3:48 pm
tonybanksfan
(@tonybanksfan)
Eminent Member

I've been using Mackie mr8mk2 studio monitors at home and Yamaha dxr8 powered speakers everywhere else, both are very good.
I am going to add the Electrovoice EVzxa1 subwoofer to my setup, its only 12 inches but small compact light and portable.
I don't think you can go that wrong on the powered monitors, but the P.A. is a whole different ballgame. I highly reccommend the Yamaha's.
Brian.

Posted : 25/10/2013 7:33 am
billbk
(@billbk)
Eminent Member

TonyBanksFan, you may want to try out that EV subwoofer before you spend over $400.
I Picked one up to go with my powered Yorkville speaker & found that it really didn't add all that much (I do get pretty good bass out of the Yorkville). I ended up selling the EV.

Posted : 25/10/2013 8:27 am
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

I wouldn't get a sub woofer smaller than 15".

Posted : 25/10/2013 11:14 am
tonybanksfan
(@tonybanksfan)
Eminent Member

TonyBanksFan, you may want to try out that EV subwoofer before you spend over $400.
I Picked one up to go with my powered Yorkville speaker & found that it really didn't add all that much (I do get pretty good bass out of the Yorkville). I ended up selling the EV.

Hey Bill, what subwoofer do you think would be a good match for the 8 inch Yami's then?
You get into 15 inch subs and their big n heavy, you didn't say how big your Yorkvilles are?

Posted : 25/10/2013 3:02 pm
billbk
(@billbk)
Eminent Member

I have the Yorkville NX55P which has a 12". They're known for a strong bass, which may be why I didn'y see a huge change in sound. The EV does crank out an amazing amount of crisp bass for such a light wt package though. Just thought it would be nice if whoever you buy it from will let you take it home & try it out before sale is final.
I don't know anything about the Yamahas, but if they are indeed 8" ers, the EV may be just the ticket for you.

Posted : 25/10/2013 3:49 pm
billbk
(@billbk)
Eminent Member

I have the Yorkville NX55P which has a 12". They're known for a strong bass, which may be why I didn't see a huge change in sound. The EV does crank out an amazing amount of crisp bass for such a light wt package though. Just thought it would be nice if whoever you buy it from will let you take it home & try it out before sale is final.
I don't know anything about the Yamahas, but if they are indeed 8" ers, the EV may be just the ticket for you.

Posted : 25/10/2013 3:50 pm
tonybanksfan
(@tonybanksfan)
Eminent Member

I have the Yorkville NX55P which has a 12". They're known for a strong bass, which may be why I didn'y see a huge change in sound. The EV does crank out an amazing amount of crisp bass for such a light wt package though. Just thought it would be nice if whoever you buy it from will let you take it home & try it out before sale is final.

That's what I'm thinking , 8" tops with a 12" sub. Now, if the wife would stop freaking, I
Would shell out another $500 for the Yamaha dxs15 sub and match up my components.
For your setup, I would think an 18" sub is the better fit for optimum crossover, but big, heavy and of course more moola.

Posted : 25/10/2013 6:31 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: