5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
JB107048
(@jb107048)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hi,
I've lost a pic /plectrum whatever you prefer to call it down between the keys on my PC3K8.

Question:
Do I bother pulling the instrument apart or just leave it as-is.
I am curious as to whether or not it will be in the way, or if it will fall to the bottom of the instrument and lay dormant.

The keyboard is on a stand and doesn't typically move, but I thought I'd ask

anyone have pics of the mechanism or anything like that, I'd appreciate some indication of what I'm looking at getting myself into.

TIA

PC3x, PC3K8/K64+GD

Posted : 22/05/2019 1:00 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

Richard, one of Kurzweil most seasoned hardware engineers said this about your case. Note that this is without actually seeing the unit, so there is a lot of speculation here....

"If it is still between the keys, they might be able to carefully turn the PC3K8 upside down and it might fall out.

If it has fallen further in, leaving it in has several possible outcomes.

1. No problem if it does not interfere with the key mechanism.
2. Could jam one of the keys.
3. If it falls in the vicinity of the key switches, it could damage a key switch or prevent the key switch from operating properly.

If it is just lying loose inside the enclosure, there is no need to remove it, assuming it is not metal.

If it jams a key or interferes with a key switch the enclosure should be opened to remove it.
This should be done by a service center or a “competant person” familiar with the PC3K8 enclosure assembly."

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 22/05/2019 12:12 pm
JB107048
(@jb107048)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Yeah It's not giving any grief and I *think* it went all the way down to the bottom of the enclosure.

keys are all still functioning and no dramas. so one day I'll get around to fishing it out from underneath.

thanks!

PC3x, PC3K8/K64+GD

Posted : 22/05/2019 10:38 pm
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

I think an important question to ask here is whether or not you are gigging with the keyboard. If it is constantly being moved and manhandled by roadies then the chances are greatly higher that it could move to a critical spot and cause problems with the key action.

If it just sits in a studio and never moves then the chances are it could sit for years without causing damage.

I would say if it's not too tough to try, I'd open up the service panel for the battery and expansion ports and try and shake it out before I tried opening it right up.

Gary ;)

Posted : 29/05/2019 5:01 pm
JB107048
(@jb107048)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Yesterday I started to hear a rattle between f# & G above middle.
I knew somehow that one day it'd return.

Simply lifted the back of the instrument up off the stand and heard it move.

Made some calculated tilts and opened the back panel, retrieved the orange tortex pic and all good.

It did well to last this long inside.

PC3x, PC3K8/K64+GD

Posted : 11/08/2019 6:50 am
Share: