Clear all

PA adjustments

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
arthurbuccioli
(@arthurbuccioli)
Topic starter

Hi there. I have an issue about how to get the best results when using PC3K or any keyboard really, because normally i prattice with AKG headphones and tit sound good, but in PA seems like i lost all the sound detail, perhaps the PA quality, cables or something. Sorry in advance if its not an appropriate question to the forum, but it pisses me off, cause i wanna have sound quality when playing on events. perhaps someone that once had this same problem can help me?

on the same subject, in your experience, the final sound quality is very affected by the stereo presence, or if i use 1 PA connected to the left output (mono) it will be pretty much the same?

thanks

Posted : 08/07/2014 9:20 am
tonybanksfan
(@tonybanksfan)
Eminent Member

Your question can open up a big can of worms. I would suggest that you do not edit programs or make changes wearing headphones that affect the way a program or setup sounds, especially if you are trying to replicate a sound or song by an artist/band.
You'll waste a lot of time getting it right, only to find its all wrong once you play through a monitor,speaker, or PA system.
I find that my pc3k sounds best through a stereo setup using TRS cables. There are users that have stated on other websites that they prefer a mono setup in live situations and you can't tell the difference when mixed in a band performance.
So experiment a little and see if anybody else can point you in the right direction on this forum, there are many opinions but not that many people tend to comment here.

Posted : 08/07/2014 9:41 pm
arthurbuccioli
(@arthurbuccioli)
Topic starter

ok Tony, thank you very much for your feedback, indeed sometimes i have been frustrated by creating setups that sound wonderfull in the headphones, only to see after that sound crappy in the PA. So you think the best thing to do is create my sounds using the PA ou monitor speakers instead or headphones to get the real results right away?

When playing with another people, ive noticed that the sounds sometimes tends to be a little messed, being hard to perceive the detail of the instruments, perhaps the acoustics of the ambient may have a role in this, perhaps the sound effects (reverb mainly). Anyway, i know that this is more a audio tech related question than pc3k question...

Posted : 09/07/2014 3:53 am
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

Many PAs used by bands (and owned by them) can by real crap when it comes to sound quality. The first victim is the synth. Always. You can´t tell - at least in a forum - why it sounds bad if we donßt knwo about the quality of the stuff that is used.
Well, AND it also depends on the guy that has his fingers and mind on the mixer. My way to have a bulletproof system everywhere I go: Have your own keyboardamp of decent quality. This is for monitoring yourself - or at small gigs your soundsource. So you know at least on stage you sound like you know you should. Always.
A combination of a quality-monitor with integrated (and maybe detachable) mixer is a very convenient solution and is flexible for many situations. And it´s quite lightweight. For example the Yamaha MSR-series to name one that I like. But there might be even better - and more expensive- ones.

Posted : 09/07/2014 4:30 pm
M.Dudas
(@m-dudas)

arthur, the rules are simple:

- if you think your PA or speakers are low quality then it probably is true... :?
- PC3/K have relatively quiet outputs (to avoid any distortion) - put it 6-9dB louder in the Master EQ or Comp. if you get some distortion, solve it in the specific program/setup..
- no PA would ever sound like good quality headphones and vice versa
- balanced cables and balanced mixer input are a good idea
- bad room acoustics spoils the sound a bit
- bad audio guy spoils the sound much more
- "acoustically aggressive" band colleagues do spoil the sound very much

ciao

Posted : 09/07/2014 5:28 pm
arthurbuccioli
(@arthurbuccioli)
Topic starter

KaffyMusic, i totally agree with you, some instruments dont be so affected as the synths, i tend to use a lot of pianos and sometimes fm pianos, with the usual pas sounds like im playing in my old psr-620 sometimes. I was already im mind to buy a monitor, you opinion make thae case strong :) i will look up for the models you suggested and others, when i use my headphones as return i miss a lot from vocals and other instruments. again, i know that is a question way more related to sound engineering than to the pc3k, thats supposed to sound beautiful.

M.Dudas, i really think thats a combination of the factors you mentioned, bad PAs+bad wiring+bad guy behind the main mixer(here is usually some guy that haves no sense of music at all, sadly)

im was until last time using unbalanced cables that goes for 20 meters long and today i was learning about the technology behind the balanced connections, which raises another question: will be better to connect my pc3k to a DirectBox (or two one per channel) and then send the balanced signal using the mic channels available on the medusa to tha main mixer? that way the major source of noise/distortion of the input signal will be the cables between the pc3k and the DI (not longer than 5 feet/2 meters).

Thanks a lot for your help guys :)

Posted : 09/07/2014 7:18 pm
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

I personally use an unbalanced connection to the main system, but my longest cable is some 3m. I also own 2 DI-Boxes (next time I´d take a stereo one), but I just use them in case of humming in the system. I usually sit beside the mixingconsole and try to use the same voltage-plug like it does - this helps to avoid exactly this problem. In case of humming, I use the DI-Box. On most events (the bigger ones) there is a guy with his own soundsystem, he usually has DI-boxes placed on stage. If he doesn´t, my faith in his abilities usually start to become doubtful. That is when I consider taking my own monitoring out, split my signal with a small mixer for my personal monitor and just give him the final stereosignal and let him do what he wants with it.
I never experienced signal-loss of any kind or the feeling that there might be a problem with lost frequencies because of the cables. That´s usually a crappy PA-system.

Posted : 10/07/2014 5:01 am
arthurbuccioli
(@arthurbuccioli)
Topic starter

thanks Kaffy, having in mind your considerations, i think thats my problem is probably a mix of factors: bad set of PAs with an bad acoustics ambient, plus a bass player that increases over the limit the volume of the bass...

Posted : 10/07/2014 10:57 am
Share: