PC3K8 Randomly going off tune

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
scradley1960
(@scradley1960)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I have a problem with my PC3K8 where it randomly goes 1 semitone sharp on only one zone of multiple zones setups. There is no correlation to the zone or the Midi Channel. For example I have a setup with three guitars layered and after a while the PC3K8 will all of a sudden be playing the guitar on zone 1 sharp by 1 ST. On another one I have layered horns and piano which I toggle between and the piano (on zone 2) will go sharp by 1 ST while the other zone is still playing in tune.
Everything goes back to normal (for a while) if I turn it off and back on.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm at the point where I can't use this keyboard live as my band mates would kill me if all of a sudden we had to stop so I can reset the board.

Brad
(Kurzweil PC3K8, Roland VR-760, Alesis Vortex Keytar, Peavey KB-300 Amp)

Posted : 24/04/2016 5:02 am
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

When it does it flick the pitch bend wheel and see if it suddenly falls back into tune. If it does then it is pitch wheel drift and the temporary cure would be to turn the pitch bend off as a controller in each zone within the setups. If it also does it on programs then edit control setup #126, turning it off globally for all programs. The long term fix is a pitch wheel replacement, i.e. it needs a new part.

If turning the pitch wheel off does not cure your issue then the next step would be to contact technical support so that diagnostics recommendations can be suggested to get to root cause (support@kurzweil.com).

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 24/04/2016 6:46 am
ioannes
(@ioannes)
Trusted Member

I agree with Dave.
I had a similar problem with PC2X and I solved it (not exactly solved but bypassed) disabling both wheels; their midi control assignment is now NONE for each program in my setups.

Kurzweil PC3K6 Kurzweil PC2X Kawai MP5 Korg M50 ("B" team: GEM S2; Yamaha CP-30 - Ex: Yamaha PSR8000, Korg DS8, Korg DW6000, Roland D50, Roland Jupiter-4) - http://jcsbinasco.wordpress.com/la-band/

Posted : 24/04/2016 1:09 pm
scradley1960
(@scradley1960)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I will try that gentlemen. Thanks very much. I don't use the pitch bend wheel anyway so if it is that, I should be fine.
I really appreciate the quick responses.
Brad

Brad

Posted : 25/04/2016 3:57 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

Other things to look are:

- If you have MIDI 15 or MIDI 21 assigned to any controller. They could act as aux pitch (for Ribbon and others) and you could have an entry value assigned to any of those controllers or something.

- If you have the ribbon... check the ribbon.

- the Global Utils MIDI STATE will show you if you have some value for those MIDI CCs

- If it happens in Program mode, you would see a pitch bar displayed in the bottom left side of the Program Selection page.

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 25/04/2016 5:20 pm
scradley1960
(@scradley1960)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I meant to update this some time ago.
the absolutely incredible, incomparable Jean Robert Bellefeuille fixed my issue for me by email. Seems it was entry values on some patches I got off this site.
THANK YOU SO MUCH JEAN!!!!

Brad

Brad

Posted : 07/06/2016 9:01 am
Arnaud Le Guellec
(@alg8598)

Hi There,

Newbie on the forum, I have exactly the same kind of issue on my PC3 and PC3x.

After some time the keyboard goes off tune randomly especially when I press a key for a longer time.

I have attempted to transfer a user bank previously from my PC3 to my PC3x, and observed the program control settings were affected ( OS version were not the same - my fault). THen I have reset the (PC3x) keyuboard several times and finally upgraded to last OS. But still I have the same issue.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

And cheers to everybody!

Posted : 19/08/2023 2:00 pm
Share: