Topic starter

Hi,

I'm interested in hearing your opinions about this:

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 01/04/2013 1:13 pm
sysex
(@sysex)

I voted "other" which should be specified as rack or tabletop version...
The reasons are what I already have and don't have.
I have an awesome keyboard (PC3x) ,I don't have space and the money to support a keyboard version since I don't need one!
1st post here...hope we regroup here fast enough!
Thanx Fran for the acceptance!

Posted : 07/04/2013 5:51 am
da capo
(@d-c)
Eminent Member

I voted "other" which should be specified as rack or tabletop version...

I voted for "other" too.

It depends on what I really have and I have basicly everything already,- 88 weighted keys DP, 76-key a-g masterkeyboard, 3 keyboards w/ 61-keys (PC361 / DX7mkIIFD /Oberheim XK masterkeyboard), 43-keys (Minimoog D) & 31-keys (Edirol PCR300).
I´m using these in different combinations for live or all together in the studio in a fixed wired MIDI setup and for different purposes then.

What to replace ?

Well,- in a gigging scenario I prefer a 3 keyboard rig (76keys on top of 88keys) and 61 keys in (R.H.) L-configuration.
I like the PC361 synth action and would like to replace the 76-keys a-g masterkeyboard (actually diving board fast triggering synth action) by a new 73-key c-c fast triggering waterfall action (evtl. Fatar TP8-O) w/ internal soundengine and masterkeyboard features.
I´d wish, Kurzweil brings such an instrument when new models appear.
Kurz KB3 Mode, eventually improved in upcoming models, deserves a waterfall action IMO,- the lowest octave switching presets in KB3 mode and being usable as extra keys in other modes.

D.C.

Posted : 07/04/2013 7:11 am
jan
 jan
(@jan)

I would just hate to have to make that choice.
But fortunately, since I'm a Kurzweil user I have a choice in 61-76-88 in the pro boards that I use. Wouldn't mind a rack version of the next flagship though. My PC3 and PC3x would be happy to hook up to it.

Posted : 07/04/2013 8:03 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi Jan,

With the SP5, you only have an 88. With the SP4, you have 76 and 88. What would you get if you want an SP5-like keyboard with 61 keys? Would you get the 88? or you'd get a PC3LE 61?, for example... That's what I am curious about...

And thanks!

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 07/04/2013 10:18 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi,

90 views - 6 votes... c'mon, not that hard to choose one box! :D

I am truly interested in your true opinion about this.

Thanks! :)

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 10/04/2013 8:49 am
tz_keyz
(@tz_keyz)
Estimable Member

The only benefit I can see for a 61 note vs a larger one is that it WILL fit in the backseat or trunk of most cars. I've had hatch backs in the past, now a Jeep Liberty. I was ably to fit my 88 PC's (in a big SKB case) in all 3 of the hatchbacks. Ironically, the SKB case would NOT fit in the back of the Liberty. I had a company in Boston make me a custom 88 key case that fit the PC's perfectly. Same case has been used with all 3 of my PC's. Just sharing my experience.

If there was a PC3K8 76 weighted key version, I would probably run out and buy it.

Posted : 11/04/2013 2:41 pm
annuello
(@annuello)

Late last year I was trying out various Kurzweil keyboards to decide which one I should buy. I tend to rely a lot on octave-work in my left hand, and every 7X-key just seemed to run out of keys too soon. Maybe it's just my playing style, but I'd only consider a 7X-key if it were an 88 with the top octave chopped off. (I'd even settle for the lowest key being a C1 key rather than A0.) After testing the three models in the store (PC3K6, PC3LE7 & PC3K8) I quickly realised the PC3K8 was the right match for me. It is now residing in my lounge and the top octave is not getting much work, but the rest of it gets around 2 hours per night. Now I have to get some roof racks for the car...

Annuello.

Posted : 11/04/2013 3:31 pm
sysex
(@sysex)

Since me & D.C voted for "other" how come there is one vote only?
Just wondering... :geek:

I see some movement around here...that's good...

edit: I cannot find a way to create a poll for a new topic...
I want to create a new "POLL: Rack/Tabletop Version For The Next Big Thing" to
ask everybody if they would want/need/willing2buy a R/T version of TNBT...
am I missing something?

Posted : 17/04/2013 6:54 pm
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi,

Maybe one of you two didn't actually "Submited" the vote? It should only let you vote once, so, could you try again?

I am really interested in these polls, so thanks to all that have answered.

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 17/04/2013 7:00 pm
sysex
(@sysex)

Hi,

Maybe one of you two didn't actually "Submited" the vote? It should only let you vote once, so, could you try again?

I am really interested in these polls, so thanks to all that have answered.

Yes that's exactly what I thought...I actually voted btw...

Posted : 17/04/2013 7:08 pm
Kromsolog
(@kromsolog)
Trusted Member

rack or tabletop version...

The same was the reason I voted for "Other"

Not only bears live in Siberia, but some PC3 users too ;)
----((`'-))__(('`))
----)-__-_-_-__-(
.---/---(o _ o)---
-----*.-( 0 )-*.-/
--- _'-.__'='__.-'_
--/`|=-|||||:
.-_))=-||||((_/
.....|=-||||::|
......|-| |-|
----((__)_(__))

Posted : 20/04/2013 8:37 am
Malc
 Malc
(@malc_1588023930)

Hi

I put 'other'. The critical thing for me is to have lightweight synthesizer-style keys, eg PC361, K2000 etc, for the sake of hand pains.

I sit with my arms at the correct height/angle and I like to play lots of arpeggios, which on weighted keys starts to become a problem. I'm not the only one I'm sure. An excellent jazz pianist friend has a basketball injury and now finds even the PC361 keys too heavy.

If a 76-key had synth-keys then that would actually be better than 61 keys.

I saw Dave say on Sonikmatter that the PC3K6 would be the last synthkey version of a kurzweil, and that from here on they would probably only do semi-weighted and weighted. Thats very bad for me.

Malc

Famous synth sounds - a work in progress:
http://enjoythesirens.com

Posted : 04/07/2013 5:22 am
EvilDragon
(@evildragon)
Trusted Member

I would look for a rack if 61 keys isn't somehow available.

Posted : 04/07/2013 1:53 pm
gceccere
(@gceccere)

I would go for the 88 fully weighted if it was to replace my master keyboard. For any extra sound, I would go for a rack version.

--
Kurzweil PC3x + KORE 64
1966 Hammond A100
Neo Ventilator 2
1964 Vox AC30TB

Posted : 04/07/2013 2:38 pm
Share: