Polyphony question

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Holdsg
(@holdsg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Ok, so yes I am new here, new to Kurzweil upgrading from Korg, so there is a learning curve... So at the risk of being the first poster with a question, I hope it's an appropriate one.

I am making my first setups, and have encountered perhaps a common and easily solved challenge.
When I have" say four zones in a setup, and say the bass will not play if I hit the bass notes at the same time as other notes, but will sound if I hit them right after the other notes in a chord. I believe this may be due to how the bass program is designed (as a lead, instead of allowing poliphany). How do I solve this?

Bass guitar and keyboard player for Safe in Sound band.

not at the same time, but sometimes in the same song!

Posted : 10/01/2012 10:26 pm
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

Is the Bass program monophonic? When you edit the program and go to the page COMMON the field Monophonic is On or Off?

Do the programs in the other zones have many layers that play at the same time?

Is one of the programs a KB3 program?

TRICK: When you think you are running out of polyphony, Press the soft buttons 3 and 4 (the 2 middle soft buttons bellow the screen) at the same time (it has to be at the same time). You will enter in Master UTILS. Then go to VOICES and you will see the use of the polyphony of the machine at that particular moment. Play and you see what I mean.

And, for cases like this, you can always attach your setup to this post and somebody could have a look at it.

Regards,
Fran

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 11/01/2012 10:54 am
Holdsg
(@holdsg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks Fran,
Yes, one of them is a KB3 program, that might be why I am running out of polyphony. (I'll mess with taking that program out and adding something else).
But I'll also check out what the bass program setup is when I have a chance.

I will also consider posting the setup here, its for the intro chords to WHITE ROOM by Cream, somebody might like it. I play the intro/chords on keys then switch over to bass guitar for the rest of the song (and then back and forth). keeps me on my toes.

Posted : 11/01/2012 4:34 pm
Holdsg
(@holdsg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Figured out a different layer approach to the setup that doesn't use the KB3.
Posted it under Cream - White Room (Intro).
Appreciate any feedback.
Going to post some additional setups as well. I play these live in a four piece cover band.

Posted : 15/01/2012 8:34 pm
Sparks55
(@sparks55)

Thanks for sharing the setup, Holdsg. I also play bass and keys and have been having a little trouble deciding which classic rock songs I should play which instrument. I didn't think of Cream and am looking forward to trying this one out.
Mark

Posted : 26/01/2012 9:43 pm
Holdsg
(@holdsg)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

cool,
there's a guy on Talkbass that I have become friends with that also does the bass/keys thing.
Good to see we're not the only animals in the zoo.

Posted : 27/01/2012 9:19 am
Share: