36 Posts
6 Users
4 Likes
Pedja
(@pedja)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hell to all,
Specially to Fran. I have a problem which started in the end of May, after almost 7. years of using PC3LE without any problems. It manifested with OS restarting. I am using last OS v.2.61, and I am proud to say that I was an beta tester for it.
OS restarting is not the same like in many described cases on this forum and others. After restarting, instrument continue to play normally. I don't have any instrument failure, like blockade which caused blinking all led or stop sound's. Only restarting!
In last period I have one failure, in period of 15. days. When it started it was much more often, sometimes few times during playing.
When this was started for the first time, I decided to reinstall OS from scratch, but this help only for few days.
I have to add one more, that I can't force scenario which can cause OS restarting. This is completely unpredictable.
I tried to connect technical support for Kurzweil (I filled form and explained my problem) but they didn't reply to me, after more than tree weeks. Obviously they don't want to help me in any way.
Please Fran can you suggest me something. I bought PC3LE8 in Belgrade, Serbia like a new instrument in 2011.
Thank you for all your attention.
Regards,

Pedja (Predrag Kalajdzijevic).

Posted : 02/07/2018 2:41 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

We'll figure out what happened with Support. They always reply. Something must have happened with that form.

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 02/07/2018 8:12 am
Pedja
(@pedja)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hello Fran,
I got reply from Jean today. If you did something in this way, thank you very much.
Best regards,
Pedja.

Posted : 02/07/2018 11:45 pm
Pedja
(@pedja)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Last year I had problems with OS restarting in my PC3LE8 and I had suggestion to change a set of cables. This suggestion came from technician from Player service. I didn't do it, because restarting stop after I shake instrument. But, this year in May, almost in same period OS restarting came again. It is impossible to predict moment when it would happened, no scenario to make it happen. My intuition tell me that problems lay in some connections (because shake of instrument help). I forgot to write, that after restarting instrument playing correctly. Sometimes it's happened only once, sometimes few times, during playing. Any suggestions will be very appreciate. Thanks guys, and all best.

Posted : 27/06/2019 1:08 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

Please follow the advice that Jean gave you last year or the problem will still be there.

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 28/06/2019 9:52 am
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

Are you using an expression pedal, a pedal that plugs into the CC input? I use to use a yamaha FC7 pedal with my PC3. I used it for 3 years and it worked perfectly (w/ the ashby adapter). Then during the gig my PC3 started to restart in the middle of the gig. Over the course of several months it did this. I finally figured out that it was the pedal causing the restart. I bought a new FC7 pedal and it still did it. So I switched pedals to a Roland EV7 and I have not had a single issue in the past 5 years. I still cant understand how fhe FC7 pedal worked perfectly for three years but then refuses to work correctly, with a new ord FC7 pedal. The only thing that I can think of is that the pot on the FC7 is valued a 50K and the PC3 requires a 10K pot. The pC3 may have tolerated the 50K pot but over time as the parts begin to age the 50k could no longer be tolerated by the PC3.

Remove all pedals, midi connections from the PC3LE and see if it still does it. Then add them back one at a time until you find the culprit that is causing the issue.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 29/06/2019 7:39 am
Pedja
(@pedja)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi,

Please follow the advice that Jean gave you last year or the problem will still be there.

Hello Hipogrito,
Thank you very much for your reply. Jean didn't give me any advice, I get it from Player service (Player is shop which sell Kurzweil keyboard in Belgrade, Serbia). Jean sent them a mail about my problem, and technician from service called me. His advice was to bought a set of new cables and change them. I didn't do this, because OS restarting stop, and I didn't have such behavior of instrument near 10. months. But in May all this happened again.
I wish you all best,

Pedja.

Posted : 01/07/2019 4:22 am
Pedja
(@pedja)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Are you using an expression pedal, a pedal that plugs into the CC input? I use to use a yamaha FC7 pedal with my PC3. I used it for 3 years and it worked perfectly (w/ the ashby adapter). Then during the gig my PC3 started to restart in the middle of the gig. Over the course of several months it did this. I finally figured out that it was the pedal causing the restart. I bought a new FC7 pedal and it still did it. So I switched pedals to a Roland EV7 and I have not had a single issue in the past 5 years. I still cant understand how fhe FC7 pedal worked perfectly for three years but then refuses to work correctly, with a new ord FC7 pedal. The only thing that I can think of is that the pot on the FC7 is valued a 50K and the PC3 requires a 10K pot. The pC3 may have tolerated the 50K pot but over time as the parts begin to age the 50k could no longer be tolerated by the PC3.

Remove all pedals, midi connections from the PC3LE and see if it still does it. Then add them back one at a time until you find the culprit that is causing the issue.

Hello Dave,
Thank you very much for your reply, and detail explanation about your experience of OS restarting and suggestions. I don't have expression pedal connected to my PC3LE, I only have sustain pedal connected. But I use PC3LE like a keyboard controller for Korg Kronos. First time I had experience with OS restarting was one year, and all this stopped when I shook instrument (I rad this in this forum that this can help in some circumstances, and it did). OS restarting didn't return for 10. months, till May 2019. I didn't have such experience before (till May 2018.), and if I used Kurzweil, like keyboard controller for Kronos, for years (before). Do you suggest me maybe, to disconnect Kronos, and test what will happen.
I wish you all best,
Pedja.

Posted : 01/07/2019 4:44 am
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

Disconnect everything, including any audio cables. Play the keyboard (you wont be able to hear anything because the cables are removed, but that's ok). After about 30 minutes start adding back things, like cables and pedals and play for a while, then add back the midi connection to the kronos and play for a while. Add back one piece at a time until you find the connector that is causing the issue.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 07/07/2019 11:54 am
Pedja
(@pedja)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Disconnect everything, including any audio cables. Play the keyboard (you wont be able to hear anything because the cables are removed, but that's ok). After about 30 minutes start adding back things, like cables and pedals and play for a while, then add back the midi connection to the kronos and play for a while. Add back one piece at a time until you find the connector that is causing the issue.

Thank you very much,
I really appreciate your help. I will try what you suggested to me. I have something to add, I have same configuration since 2013. and I used Kronos like controller from this time. I didn't have any problems (5. years) till May 2018.
I wish you all best.

Posted : 09/07/2019 3:52 am
Pedja
(@pedja)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

For few months OS restarting stopped, but before 10. days started again.
After that I decided to follow suggestions which Delawere Dave gave me. But, I didn't do exactly what he suggest to me. First I plug out only USB cable (which is MIDI connection for Kurzweil and Kronos).
After that, I played Kurzweil for a few days, without USB connection, and I didn't suffered, on Kurzweil, from OS restarting.
Please, can someone help to me with idea, what can be a problem in this USB connection, and what I can try to solve this, maybe to connect instruments with MIDI cable?
Thank you for your attention.

Posted : 11/10/2019 3:10 am
Pedja
(@pedja)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I returned USB cable, but a new one. After 10. days of testing (playing like MIDI controller to Kronos) I didn't have any restarting of Kurzweil OS. I hope that will be like that, in future. It is very strange that first USB cable was guilty for OS restarting (it was new, and it didn't suffered from any kind of force, which can cause his dysfunction) but who knows, maybe some fabric bug.
Thanks for your attention.

Posted : 22/10/2019 2:36 am
Pedja
(@pedja)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Sadly I have to say, that I have OS restarting again, last night, after about 1h 30' of playing. I was start to be quite sure, that USB cable caused this problem, but I was wrong. After 18. days of every day playing (without OS restarting) I have a same problem again. Any suggestions will be very appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Posted : 30/10/2019 3:15 am
Pedja
(@pedja)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Process of restarting continued (two times last night), but now is much more often. Any suggestions will be very appreciate. Thanks in advance.

Posted : 14/11/2019 5:34 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

Take it back to service would be my solution.

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 14/11/2019 8:01 am
Pedja reacted
Page 1 / 3
Share: