Clear all

White keys clacking repairable PC2?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
marku
(@marku)
Topic starter

I just purchased used PC2 online. Works ok except for huge clacking noise when almost all of the white keys are released quick. I mainly purchased as bottom board Midi controller for upper PC361 (and backup). It sounds and feels like outer part of white key bottoms are hitting with no felt? damping. It is really over the top loud for all the white keys except bottom octave or so and a few others. The unit was described in good working order but this makes it almost unplayable – I guess unless for loud rock gig.

I am thinking I have to return unless fixing of this problem would be something I could perform without huge difficulty by opening unit and replacing something (felt?) or adjusting something. Anyone had this issue and fixed it properly. No utube I found so far really address this in terms of whether each key must be worked on our some sort of more global fix. Or is it just worn out and needs total replacement – bad purchase?

Interesting is that other than that loud noise clacking all the keys play pretty good (I like action) and sound good except for C2, which sounds louder than all other keys with anything over soft pressure (maybe that rubber contact issue for that one that I saw on utube).

Thanks in advance!

I need to make decision soon and will be net surfing further to see if any instructions and service manual (I already have PC361 service manual and still looking for PC2) available or utube tips – so I greatly appreciated if I can get advice here on how I might proceed and what’s involved in a potential fix.

Posted : 14/07/2018 12:32 pm
marku
(@marku)
Topic starter

I did not want to open board as I purchased a warranty but recall reading online about the screws that adjust the key bed rails and noticed keys very close to case metal-- and the slots would move the keys up from the metal edge where the noise was.

-- So I loosened those screws and it slid down -- the noise went away for every single KEY! Works fine! (maybe got banged in shipping and moved down toward the edge - who knows?)

Posted : 15/07/2018 7:49 pm
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

Glad you found a workaround... in this forum you will mostly see people from PC3 and newer products. To find PC2 people you might be more lucky at Mastering VAST, perhaps. http://forums.godlike.com.au/

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 16/07/2018 11:38 am
Share: