Forum

Why is my KFP-1 foo...

Notifications
Clear all

Why is my KFP-1 footswitch (sustain pedal) not working?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
AMDAC
(@amdac)
Topic starter

I am getting no sustain effect from my KFP-1 footswitch and am at the end of my tether as to understand why.

I have been using an old Ensoniq footswitch as a sustain pedal which has been working perfectly (I play mostly piano) but just recently it has been not working properly, so I tried my new KFP-1 pedal and same thing: no sustain.

The pedal is plugged in before my PC3LE8 is switched on (and no, I am not depressing the footswitch).

I've checked the Musician's Guide and can't get to the bottom of this so need help please.

Posted : 06/09/2014 5:27 pm
happyrat1
(@happyrat1)
Estimable Member

Get your hands on an ohmmeter and test the plug on the pedal both depressed and raised.

It shoudl read about zero ohms when depressed and infinite when raised.

If you don't get those readings the pedal is defective.

Gary

Posted : 06/09/2014 6:33 pm
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

Check the control setup and see if the sustain has been disengaged or deassigned.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 06/09/2014 7:04 pm
AMDAC
(@amdac)
Topic starter

Get your hands on an ohmmeter and test the plug on the pedal both depressed and raised. It shoudl read about zero ohms when depressed and infinite when raised. If you don't get those readings the pedal is defective. Gary

Thanks Gary, if I don't have any success through the controller then I'll explore this option, as I am getting no sustain no matter which pedal is attached.

Posted : 06/09/2014 7:51 pm
AMDAC
(@amdac)
Topic starter

Check the control setup and see if the sustain has been disengaged or deassigned.

Hi Dave, all seems fine in there, but as don't have much experience with MIDI, perhaps you can confirm for me? It reads as follows (I presume these are the default settings as I haven't changed them):

Controller: SW Pedal 1
Type: Momentary
OnValue: 127
OffValue: 0
OnControl: Sustain
OffControl: Sustain
EntryState: None
ExitState: None
DestType: Ctrl

Posted : 06/09/2014 7:55 pm
AMDAC
(@amdac)
Topic starter

Ok. I did an OHM voltage test on the pedal, although I subsequently discovered that the Utilities page on the PC3LE8 made such a test unnecessary, as the MIDIScope™ reveals the controller values in real time.

Pedal function is normal.

All parameters indicate that Sustain is enabled across the board.

Why then am I getting no sustain?

I'm beginning to think (and hope) that it will be restored with a system reset.

Posted : 06/09/2014 10:25 pm
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

Is this in all programs or just in few?

If it is just in few, edit the program, go to the PARAMETERS page, and look for Sustain. Make sure it is assigned to the Pedal.

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 08/09/2014 8:54 am
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

I would try this:

1) save your user data (programs, setups, effects, etc..)
2) do a hard reset

try any program and see if the program sustains. if it doesn't work then you might want to start completely over by reloading the operating system. it should then work. If it still doesn't work (and midi scope is saying that it does) then it's time to call the doctor ..... i.e. support@kurzweil.com

if it does work then try reloading your programs, setups, etc.. See if the sustain now works. if it now stops working then something is amiss in one of your user settings.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 08/09/2014 11:49 am
Share: