31 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
17 K Views
lizard king
(@lizard-king)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

LOVE the now not so new double leslie. I've stopped dragging my Leslie 860 to gigs. One minor problem.

I play exclusively in setups. My standard organ patch has a KB3 (currently 70's Organ) on zone one, Dan Fisher's VAST organ on zone two, and another VAST organ on zone 3. I used one of the switches to switch faders between B3 and normal - which I use for zone volume.

I've tried (probably not all that hard) to get the double leslie effect to apply to all three organ patches. I tried both in the setup and in the individual program. When I switched the effect in Dan's organ it trashed the sound. That's when I gave up. Is it possible for me to hit my lesslie switch (foot pedal #2) and switch the same double leslie effect onto all three organ patches?

Thanks.

Posted : 20/06/2013 10:47 am
EvilDragon
(@evildragon)
Trusted Member

Try making those programs without the double Leslie FX chain in insert FX. Then use send overrides in Setup mode to apply the double Leslie FX chain as send FX, then route all three zones to it.

Posted : 20/06/2013 12:34 pm
lizard king
(@lizard-king)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Try making those programs without the double Leslie FX chain in insert FX.

Insert FX? Neither of the VAST programs have double leslie...the KB3 does. Take it out of the 70's organ program and leave the VAST programs as they are???

Then use send overrides in Setup mode to apply the double Leslie FX chain as send FX, then route all three zones to it.

Is there a soft button in each setup zone for send override?

Thanks.

Posted : 20/06/2013 12:58 pm
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

I have a setup that uses a KB3 in the upper zone and The Fisher VAST in the lower zone. I use a single leslie and applied it to both zones, the effect uses 7 units for a total of 14 units for both zones. You can assign the double leslie as an aux effect but you cannot control it slow/fast like you can when it is a primary effect. So for me the double leslie in my KB3/VAST organ setup was not a viable option so i had to go with a single leslie option. I also have a Vent and although the double leslie is a good effect no simulator i know of can compete with the Vent so I just use that. For practices I use my heavily tweaked single leslie and also as a backup for when I forget to bring the Vent.

I also use a switch; when the switch is on the 9 sliders control the 9 drawbars of the VAST organ and when off the 9 sliders control the 9 drawbars of the KB3. Works like the Hammond SK2 where one set of sliders control two different sets of drawbars independently.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 20/06/2013 7:25 pm
lizard king
(@lizard-king)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

So the Kurz cannot just apply one "master" effect to everything in the setup? I'll continue going the way I've been. The VAST organ isn't that important. It just thickens the sound up a bit. And if I really want I can drag my leslie to the bigger gits.

Thanks.

Posted : 21/06/2013 4:57 am
EvilDragon
(@evildragon)
Trusted Member

Could also get the Ventilator, too. :D

Posted : 21/06/2013 6:00 am
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

So the Kurz cannot just apply one "master" effect to everything in the setup? I'll continue going the way I've been. The VAST organ isn't that important. It just thickens the sound up a bit. And if I really want I can drag my leslie to the bigger gits.Thanks.

The Kurzweil absolutely can apply one master effect to everything in the setup (the aux effect will do this). Typically something like a reverb or a flanger is assigned and is always on. The issue with the double leslie is that you want to control the double leslie with a pedal that switches between slow and fast, or off and fast. I have found no way of doing this while the double leslie is assigned to the aux effect. That is the issue with the double leslie, the functionality of employing it in the aux effect isn't ideally setup to do this. Had the double leslie only consumed 5 effect units you could assign the double leslie to each of your three programs and you would then have a total of 15 units which would fit within the limitations of the PC3 architecture. Unfortunately the double leslie consumes 14 units itself, so it can only be assigned to one program in a setup. You should perhaps consider a Ventilator or a Motion Sound Pro rather than hauling a leslie around

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 21/06/2013 9:43 am
lizard king
(@lizard-king)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Could also get the Ventilator, too. :D

I have a Leslie 860 with a custom tube preamp...... :D

Posted : 21/06/2013 10:35 am
lizard king
(@lizard-king)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

So the Kurz cannot just apply one "master" effect to everything in the setup? I'll continue going the way I've been. The VAST organ isn't that important. It just thickens the sound up a bit. And if I really want I can drag my leslie to the bigger gits.Thanks.

The Kurzweil absolutely can apply one master effect to everything in the setup (the aux effect will do this). Typically something like a reverb or a flanger is assigned and is always on. The issue with the double leslie is that you want to control the double leslie with a pedal that switches between slow and fast, or off and fast. I have found no way of doing this while the double leslie is assigned to the aux effect. That is the issue with the double leslie, the functionality of employing it in the aux effect isn't ideally setup to do this. Had the double leslie only consumed 5 effect units you could assign the double leslie to each of your three programs and you would then have a total of 15 units which would fit within the limitations of the PC3 architecture. Unfortunately the double leslie consumes 14 units itself, so it can only be assigned to one program in a setup. You should perhaps consider a Ventilator or a Motion Sound Pro rather than hauling a leslie around

-> "Ah-ha moment"
(As stated above, I have the "real" thing: Les 860)

Thanks!

PS....does Dave W. post anywhere since the sad demise of Sonik?

Posted : 21/06/2013 10:37 am
EvilDragon
(@evildragon)
Trusted Member

Doesn't matter if you have the real thing. If it's not feasible for you to always haul it around, you should think about getting a more portable solution, which Ventilator certainly is. :)

BTW Dave isn't with Kurzweil anymore.

Posted : 22/06/2013 2:14 am
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

The disability of the PC3 to attach one leslie to at least 2 different zones with full functionality is a steady pain in the a.. that I can not really understand. It is a common situation that you need an organ split, at least with a VAST and a KB3 mode organ. Typically to do reggae or funky grooves. This issue has been discussed over at Mastering VAST some time ago and there was no solution. I do not know of it can be solved by a software upgrade or if it is hardware related. If it can be solved, it really should be.
It is a waste of ressources and quality of sound if you have to use two simultaneous - low quality - leslies to have that FX on 2 sounds.
Until now I have not found a workaround for that. I tried to use the AUX option, and also I tried to do a VAST-only split with organ sounds, but the first has no lesliecontrol (and sounds a bit different by the way), second has no convincing sound.
I also fantasized about a KB3 split, where some tones can be used as lower, and some as upper sounds. I hardly need all registers for one sound that I like, so they could be divided.

Posted : 22/06/2013 2:34 pm
lizard king
(@lizard-king)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Doesn't matter if you have the real thing. If it's not feasible for you to always haul it around, you should think about getting a more portable solution, which Ventilator certainly is. :)

BTW Dave isn't with Kurzweil anymore.

Wow...Dave and Sonik both gone.....I really need to pay more attention. Life sucks. :(

Posted : 24/06/2013 6:22 am
angeloz
(@angeloz)

I have a setup that uses a KB3 in the upper zone and The Fisher VAST in the lower zone. I use a single leslie and applied it to both zones, the effect uses 7 units for a total of 14 units for both zones. You can assign the double leslie as an aux effect but you cannot control it slow/fast like you can when it is a primary effect. So for me the double leslie in my KB3/VAST organ setup was not a viable option so i had to go with a single leslie option. I also have a Vent and although the double leslie is a good effect no simulator i know of can compete with the Vent so I just use that. For practices I use my heavily tweaked single leslie and also as a backup for when I forget to bring the Vent.

I also use a switch; when the switch is on the 9 sliders control the 9 drawbars of the VAST organ and when off the 9 sliders control the 9 drawbars of the KB3. Works like the Hammond SK2 where one set of sliders control two different sets of drawbars independently.

I've been able to assign the speed control to the switch, and i created a setup with two hammonds, a kb3 and a vast, both with the same double leslie; i just modified the effect chain, and assigned the mod control of the leslie speed to the switch button, than saved the new chain and assigned it to the kb3 patch.

But i never realized how to switch the slider controls and have two set of drawbars! Maybe you should help me, please?

Posted : 26/06/2013 12:03 pm
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

How does assigning the leslie control to the switch only on the KB3 in a program impact the leslie control in a setup where the leslie effect is assigned to the aux send in the setup? That doesn't make sense to me. Are you sure the double leslie is actually being applied to both the Vast and the KB3 organ in the setup and does hitting the switch actually slow/fast the leslie on both the Vast and KB3 organ at the same time

Posted : 26/06/2013 4:22 pm
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

Posting this setup for DL to check what is done would be the easiest way.

Posted : 27/06/2013 12:59 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: