xd card won't format

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
jimmymio
(@jimmymio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Just purchased an Olympus 1g M+ card for my PC361. I checked it with a card reader and it says the card is formatted to Fat-16. When I tried to use it in the Kurz it says it wasn't formatted. I tried formatting it but it seemed to go on endlessly. I tried the process again and after 20 minutes it still says formatting. This doesn't seem right. The card looks fine in the card reader. Any suggestions.

Posted : 04/01/2014 1:45 pm
billbk
(@billbk)
Eminent Member

I think that that's the same card I bought and couldn't get to work (even though it should work per the specs). Ended up selling it & getting a much smaller card (256M - which I've found is still impossible to fill) and it works great.

Posted : 05/01/2014 8:50 am
jimmymio
(@jimmymio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks. I wonder why they would give it the "OK" if it's not OK. Seems like most of the cards now are 2 or more gig and it was hard, and more expensive, to find a 1 gig card. Guess I'll try to return this and look for an even smaller one.
Thanks for the tip.

Posted : 05/01/2014 12:20 pm
The Puppeteer
(@the-puppeteer)
Trusted Member

Some people have had success formatting these cards in a camera, rather than on a PC or the PC3.

You're getting into grey territory with large cards. Stick with smaller ones and you should be fine. Grab a card reader and back stuff up to a computer if you need additional space. Most cards, even small ones, will save an enormous number of objects on it.

The Puppeteer
Godlike Productions
Mastering VAST Forum

Posted : 05/01/2014 6:57 pm
jimmymio
(@jimmymio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Yeah, that seems to be the message here. I just don't understand why Kurz promotes the use of 1 gig cards. They say the use of 2 gig cards may be compromised but they give the green light to 1 gigs. Woulda saved me a lot of time trouble and expense.

Posted : 05/01/2014 10:35 pm
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member

Hi,

Sorry for your trouble.

We have used a good bunch of M+ 1 Gb cards on the PC3. We went out and buy a lot of them and they all worked. This was some years ago though. Out of that work is when we wrote this:

http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/pc3x/ ... _mode/248/

So, there might be some other factors here... if you are running the latest OS, where was that card formatted, etc...

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 06/01/2014 8:52 am
jimmymio
(@jimmymio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Sorry. Should have mentioned OS 2.21. Card already came formatted Fat-16 and it reads that way in my card reader. Don't know where it was formatted but my understanding is that they always sold this way.

Posted : 06/01/2014 9:02 am
da capo
(@d-c)
Eminent Member

Hi,

Sorry for your trouble.

We have used a good bunch of M+ 1 Gb cards on the PC3. We went out and buy a lot of them and they all worked. This was some years ago though. Out of that work is when we wrote this:

http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/pc3x/ ... _mode/248/

So, there might be some other factors here... if you are running the latest OS, where was that card formatted, etc...

I confirm my 2 Olympus 1GB M+ cards work in my PC361 since I buyed the instrument and the cards.
It worked w/ previous OS and works as well w/ latest OS.
It works w/ cards being formatted by PC361 or being formatted on PC /Win XP,- I tried both.
It works w/ my own folder structure being created on PC, including all the files I downloaded or created myself.
I have a backup of the entire xD card on PC, do changes, insert card in USB cardreader,- format the card and swap my on PC edited backup over to the card in one go and the PC361 reads it without problems.
Maybe I had the luck to buy 2 cards which work.
There might be quality issues w/ cards being offered though ...

D.C.

Posted : 06/01/2014 11:04 am
jimmymio
(@jimmymio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for this input. Now I'm really confused. Fortunately Kurz support is working with me.
Amazing how quickly they responded.

Posted : 06/01/2014 12:39 pm
jimmymio
(@jimmymio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

FWIW. I gave up on the 1 gig and bought a 128mb XD card and it worked beautifully. I think Kurz needs to reassess their recommendation and I told them so.
Thanks to all for your help.

Posted : 10/01/2014 4:54 pm
jimmymio
(@jimmymio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Just curious- do you leave the card in the slot or do you store it separately from the keyboard?

Posted : 10/01/2014 4:57 pm
da capo
(@d-c)
Eminent Member

FWIW. I gave up on the 1 gig and bought a 128mb XD card and it worked beautifully. I think Kurz needs to reassess their recommendation and I told them so.

This is nonsense because Olympus 1GB M+ cards work !

It doesn´t work for YOU and YOUR PC3 model,- so there´s a different issue.

Please don´t tell new users they HAVE to buy 64, 128 or 256MB xD cards because these are much harder to find.

As I said, I buyed 2 of these Olympus cards at different times (not together!) and both WORK since more than 2 years,- all day !
I have one of the cards permanently inserted in my PC361 and the other is my backup which will be actualized all the time.
In addition I do the organization of the backup for both the cards on PC and it works.

You picked up crappy cards, that´s all.

D.C.

Posted : 11/01/2014 5:17 pm
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

I have a 2GB Olympus M+ card. I use it since I own my PC3 and it works without any problems (not that I encountered any). I was told it may be a problem, but it wasn´t. I got that card because no others were available.

Posted : 11/01/2014 5:42 pm
jimmymio
(@jimmymio)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

You picked up crappy cards, that´s all.

D.C.

Maybe so, but when in my card reader, I could load from and save to the 1 gig card with no problem. As soon as I put it in the Kurz it didn't work at all.

Posted : 11/01/2014 6:15 pm
Share: