Styx - Come Sail Away

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
JohnEKeys
(@johnekeys)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Here is a complex setup for playing come sail away: Start by pushing SW to On (Switch to Piano) and pushing expression pedal down & back, 2nd verse: Expression pedal brings in synth and toggles phase strings on. Middle solo section E1 is syn drum, hit SW for full phase synth and lead. SW to finish back on Piano.

Note, I don't normally play the piano part on the PC3K and midi my GEM Real Piano 2 that's why you have to push SW at first. Also I can not figure out how to get the toggle of the background phase strings to start in the OFF state so the pedal set down & back fixes it.

Here is a video of me improvising with the middle solo sounds...

https://youtu.be/qK2QR6YBApU

Posted : 10/08/2015 6:18 pm
mbutler45
(@mbutler45)

Hi John,
Just came across your post on Come Sail Away. Just wondering if I need the Kore 64 for my PC3x to run the sounds. Also how did you get the echoes to come in for the lead. Thanks Great stuff
Matt

Posted : 25/08/2016 9:30 am
JohnEKeys
(@johnekeys)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

KORE64 required: Kind of yes... just for zone 6... however, can replace Keymap in program "Syn" with: 899 sine wave
and will sound the same.
The echoes are just a basic delay set in the program fx...

(Sorry for the late reply, had a busy summer/fall, not been on here for a while.)

John

Posted : 01/11/2016 4:48 am
mbutler45
(@mbutler45)

John,
Thanks for the info. Just wondering about set ups. It seems every time I create a Set up, when I insert one of the programs it seems to be added with no problem but the FXs don't seem to be the same or it just sounds different or off. Have you ever come across this.Thanks agian

Matt

Posted : 04/11/2016 6:56 am
JohnEKeys
(@johnekeys)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Yes you have to try and get your head around the FX settings for the setups, because the effects generators are shared between the setups and depending on how many units each fx patch in each setup is using things can get tricky. You have to work with the FX section in the setup editor... you turn individual FX patches on and off or set global etc. It will tell you how many units are being used in each zone... if you use too many then the FX is turned off... I ended up redoing some of the standard effects to use less units so I can use them easier in multi zone setups. So for example I dont use the main Leslie simulator FX for organs 747 - uses 14 units, I use 330 - uses 7 units etc.

Posted : 07/11/2016 8:52 pm
Share: