fran
(@fran)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi,

The Chanllenge for the month of April 2011 is:

The lead sound in A-Ha - Take On Me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

Send your programs or setups before April 18th to hipogrito (a t) ksetlist ( dot ) com

Let's get this started!

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 30/03/2011 9:09 pm
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi,

3 days to go!

We have submissions but we want more! Let's see what you can do before the weekend ends...

Regards,
Fran

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 15/04/2011 11:42 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hola,

Well, I am going to expand the time limit till the end of the month... I think it'll be easier to follow this challenge if we use natural months.

So, April 30th is the new limit. C'mon, don't be lazy!

Regards,
Fran

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 18/04/2011 10:48 am
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hi,

Challenge closed.

In few days you'll have the winner.

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 01/05/2011 12:09 pm
fran
 fran
(@fran)
Noble Member
Topic starter

The K Set List April 2011 Challenge: A-Ha - Take On Me

And the winner is Joerg1506, Joerg Rothhaupt, from Germany.

"I´m keyboard player of "Spyce boys", a cover band, mainly playing party rock and pop songs of 80´s and 90´s. Sorry, but there are no links to our music... we are no professionals :-). I played in some party bands ´til end of the 80´s, had a break for 15 years, sold all my equpment and started making music again in 2004 with special interest in programming synthesizers, esp. Access Virus (I sold meanwhile) and VST Albino 2."

The gear that Joerg uses...

"I used the PC3X. On stage I combine it with Yamaha Motif ES6. The Motif is the keyboard I use most for 80´s sounds. Because of it´s internal waveforms (i.e. PWM strings, OBX saw´s etc.) it is much faster to get accetable results for 80´s sounds. Lead sounds played from Motif with the engine of PC3X or Motif. I´m now concerned with FM in the PC3. I hope I will get some good results in the future. The reason for choosing PC3X was the way sounds cut through the mix with e-piano, classic pianos and lead sounds. What I don´t like is the short loop of classic mf-Piano, sorry. On stage in the mix you don´t care, but at home....arrgh. Perhaps s.o. is able to make this static loop a little bit more animtated. I don´t know how. "

About his take on "Take on me"...

"Sliders A,B,C control the three parts of the setup in loudness. Slider A contols the main lead sound, Slider B intro chimes and Slider C the pad for background. The filter of the pad is contolled by ModWheel. On stage most time you have to customize the lowpassfilter. Sound a and B are specially programmed for this contest, pad is a "bread and butter" pad that can be used for a lot of different situations if you customize it a bit ( envelopes and filters...). I did programming only via headphones, on stage it might sound a little bit different, that´s the reason I made the parts to be controlled by the sliders. Mix it ´til you have the sound you like."

Congratulations Joerg! I'll send you a special version of the PC3 OS with your name on it.

And I am waiting for the May Challenge submissions!

Regards,
Fran

Posted : 11/05/2011 7:09 pm
Share: