make piano decay/ sustain longer on pc3 le6

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Aeroflux
(@aeroflux)
Topic starter

Hi,

What is the easiest way to make the decay/sustain longer on a piano-sound, ( i am already using a sustain pedal ).
Can I achieve this with VAST editing ?
When entering VAST editing do I go to the AMPENV - section ? there is a "Natural" setting but when I change this in order to modify values, it looks like all the values reset.

Does anyone know if there are piano programs available with longer sustain/decay ?

Thanks,
Patrick

Posted : 03/11/2014 8:13 am
Kaffimusic
(@kaffimusic)
Reputable Member

Hello,
like many things, you also can change many details of your Piano sound. The sustain is done at AMPENV, yes that´s right. But be aware: Since the pianos consist of many layers that respond to different values of velocity, you have to change every one of them. This might end up in a messed up sound, that does not really sound like it should be - you may have many hours of tweaking to do. The "natural" setting is a preset that can easily be used while programming a new sound. Usually it fits to the selected waveform, until you want to do something unusual with it. :mrgreen:
There are different pianos inside the PC3 line, some have more "body" than others, check how its done there and maybe copy the relevant parameter settings.
Different approach: Sound engineers usually use compressors to even up sounds and also lift up decay phases. They are not longer, but they are louder as long they sound. Maybe that´s your way to go? But a comperssor will also level up soft volumes. But that´s not always a bad thing, since the sound still "feels" soft, it´s just a bit louder. Compressors a commonly used, often where you don´t know.

Posted : 03/11/2014 4:14 pm
Aeroflux
(@aeroflux)
Topic starter

Hi KaffiMusic,
Thanks for the reply. I auditioned different piano presets, and noticed that the ones with compression do have longer sustain time. Like you said, I think editing the presets is a lot of work because of all the different layers

Posted : 04/11/2014 2:25 pm
delaware dave
(@delaware-dave)
Estimable Member

Try program 842 and 843. On 842 remove the compressor from the effects.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie122; MS Low Pro/Pro 3T; Kurzweil PC3; GEM Equinox 88 and 76 key versions; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini Desktop Module; 67 Howard Combo Organ; https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

Posted : 04/11/2014 4:47 pm
Share: